Monday, August 10, 2009

A TRUE PLEASURE TO BE A CUSTOMER @ GELATOMASSI!!


Just when I had lost faith in customer service and passionate retailers (my customers excluded of course!), a friend took me to Gelatomassi in Newtown on Sunday for what he said was, "the best Gelato in Sydney (possibly Australia)".

We were in Concord so this was a lot of pressure to put on one place! I liked the Gelato from Concord too but was intrigued by what would make someone go across town to have this gelato. So the challenge was on!
As we approached the store on King St, I felt like I was visiting an authentic Gelateria in Italy far, far away from King St. The colours, the smells, the gelati and the larger than life OWNER!! Salvatore greets EVERY customer with a genuine greeting, is attentive and gives specific advise. Every customer is treated like his first - I loved it!!

There was no doubt that he was the owner, and that he loved his job which you got the feeling was not really a job! He described each flavour with such detail, that I could taste each one as we went through them........how to choose??? Salvatore knew when to give me space to decide and when to step in - a true, passionate retailer!

We sat opposite the Gelato counter and I watched the maestro at work. It was like watching a conductor with his orchestra! Managing every action; the customers entering, deciding, buying, sitting, leaving........the flow was seamless!

Out of nowhere, as if he could read our minds, Salvatore appeared with glasses of water and even shared a mandarin from his own tree with us!! I was in retail heaven!!

You have to understand, lately I have been really focusing on customer service and concluded that people have very low expectations, which sadly are being met by more retailers than not! I have been very lucky to have been working with passionate retailers over the last few years. These retailers make the others look even worse.

Notice I have barely mentioned the actual product here? Product can be duplicated in other businesses - it is the experience that is the differentiator!! (BTW - the product was deliziosa!! my friend was right!)

A Truly Fabulous Retail Experience is one where you walk out with a smile on your face after spending your money, thanking the retailer for making you feel happy! I don't like to reward bad behaviour and bad retail. If I walk into a store, cafe, restaurant or business and don't feel like I am appreciated, I leave - simple!

Consistency is super important here. How many times have we gone back to a store after a great experience only to be super disappointed?! To do it once is not enough, to do it twice is not enough. High standards must be aimed for, achieved and maintained. Make no mistake, retail is tough and the only difference between you and your competitors is your service and standard!

At Gelatomassi, I was happy to part with my money and spend some time in Salvatore's world and eat my gelato & sorbet and when I said thanks and bye, I knew I would be back.

Share your story with me - tell me about the BEST retail experience you have had!


Experience it yourself!

Gelatomassi
262 King St, Newtown
phone: 9516 0655
http://www.gelatomassi.com.au/





4 comments:

  1. Beautifully written. Love the colours, looks like an ice cream bar. I appreciate your high standards and I'm looking forward to dropping by and meeting Salvatore next time I'm in the area- should I mention your blog? Of course I will. Happy customers and readers refer.
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy
    I couldn't agree more. I go out of my way to visit the brothers La Rosa and their superb gelato store. As you know I blogged about them at http://thefoodzeitgeist.wordpress.com/2008/01/13/tonys-favourite-gelateria-in-sydney-gelatomassi/

    I look forward to our first tweetup there together next week - http://gelatotub.eventbrite.com/

    Cheers
    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mentor always told me :People only buy two things - Good feelings, and solutions to problems.
    In this Gelatobar, what they sell is obvious! And the owner knows that, which is even better.
    Can't wait to experience this myself ;-) #nscm

    Raz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tony!
    a perfect place for online to meet online I think!

    Raz
    I totally agree, I have always treated customer service as problem solving and personal gratification!
    You will not be dissappointed!

    cheers
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin